GULF SHORES, Ala. – Sports events coming back to Alabama’s beaches little by little and are leading to economic gains for the cities of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach.
From January through March 2021, Gulf Shores | Orange Beach Sports & Events facilitated 28 events, resulting in 11,029 room nights and $5.13 million in economic impact, a 9.48 percent increase over the same period in 2020.
Moving into a busy track season, the community will welcome thousands of youth and collegiate student athletes through May.
“What a difference a year makes–from the majority of events being forced to cancel or postpone in March and April 2020 to a successful and encouraging first quarter of 2021,” said Michelle Russ, vice president of sales, sports, and events for GSOB Sports & Events. “As spring events continue, we remain vigilant as we adhere to and promote Alabama Public Health guidelines and work with our cities and event owners to safely welcome participants and families to Gulf Shores and Orange Beach.”
The following track events are set to take place at the Gulf Shores Sportsplex in April and May 2021:
- AISA Outdoor Track and Field State Championship (April 15 and 16)
- University of Mobile Track and Field Meet (April 17)
- AHSAA Boys’ and Girls 4-7A State Track Championship (April 29 to May 1)
- Nashville Track Club Gulf Shores Track Festival (May 7 and 8)
- NAIA Men’s and Women’s Outdoor Track & Field National Championships (May 26 to 28)